Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Don't Do Cliffhangers


I’ve spent plenty of time in front of the TV over the past year. When you’re unemployed, the sound from your TV becomes your boss, your coworkers and your happy hour. So, you’d think I’d have a slew of reality shows on my must-watch roster. However, I’m proud to say that I remained strong and resisted the urge to get sucked into last year’s favorites. That’s not to say that I haven’t had my weak moments in the past. I was glued to the set for two seasons of Survivor and even watched a bit of Fear Factor. (However, once I witnessed contestants eating a pizza crawling with bugs, I immediately nixed that show from my life.) Biggest Loser grabbed my attention as well. The players’ transformations were truly amazing. But, like any modern viewer, I eventually wanted my gratification at a faster pace. I didn’t have the patience to wait three months to find out who couldn’t keep the pounds off and who shed half their weight. So, I ended my foray with reality shows and turned to what I call one-hour wrap-ups. CSI (any of them will do), Law & Order, Criminal Minds, Without a Trace...you get the picture. Turn on any of these shows and you’ve signed on for one hour of entertainment. One hour of your life and you’re fed the beginning, middle and end. Every once in a while, these shows will throw a “To Be Continued” up on the screen (and my reaction isn’t pretty), but for the most part I walk away with all of my questions answered. Speaking of questions, I am now wondering why Joan Rivers would even want a shower shot of her daughter. Sounds like a car crash. I’m going to do my best to look away.

1 comment: