Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Loosen Up Those Purse Strings!

I took a different approach to the New Year and dropped some serious cash yesterday on a new coat and boots. I keep hearing about “Chicago’s brutal winters” so I bought one of those sleeping bag–like coats from The North Face and a pair of snug Uggs. (Bring it, Chicago). It was quite a hefty bill for someone currently collecting an unemployment check. So how did I justify the purchase? By applying the Domino Effect. I envisioned my sales clerk, the lucky recipient of my commission money, heading over to Macy’s and buying a fabulous new purse. The next day, she takes the purse out for a test drive and it catches the attention of more buyers. Soon after, Macy’s sees an influx of sales in their purse department and someone from their PR team fires off an email to a magazine editor boasting the popularity of said purse. The purse is then featured in the magazine and Macy’s sales continue to soar. So much so that their advertising manager decides to place a few ads in said magazine. The magazine starts to grow due to their ad sales and before you know it, they’re adding head count to keep up with the work. And just like that, I’ve got my next job. Okay, maybe it’s a bit far-fetched, but when I’m living in a state that boasts an unemployment rate of 9.6%, a girl’s gotta dream. Chicago’s currently shopping around for a new mayor. I think it goes without saying that the candidate who’s all about infusing the economy with cash will get my vote. Don’t get me wrong. I find Jill’s plan to save admirable and smart. But once she’s socked away some rainy-day dough, I’m hoping she’ll loosen up her purse strings. I hear Macy’s is having a sale….

1 comment:

  1. Hysterical Anita, it really did happen!

    http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/01/04/macys-boosts-e-commerce-hiring

    ReplyDelete