Monday, January 3, 2011

Show me the money!

As we all go full steam ahead into the New Year, most of us do so with a list of resolutions we probably won't keep past this week's Jersey Shore premiere. I'm starting 2011 with a commitment to S.M.D., aka Save My Dough. And I have a feeling many of my fellow New Yorkers will find my new mantra 2 Good, 2 B, 4 Gotten. Last year's election got a hearty infusion of both fun and common sense courtesy of Jimmy McMillan's The Rent is Too Damn High Party (because the rent IS too damn high). Governor Cuomo, who took a 5% paycut his first week on the job, shares the (I'm assuming rent-stabilized) Albany manse with First Girlfriend Sandra "Semi-Homemade" Lee. Hence, I'm prepared for this administration to promote coupon clipping and Costco chic. On my morning commute, New Yorkers stood in a monster line to buy the new fare-increased Metrocards with plastic while the "Pay Cash" line at the booth had a mere four peeps (dumb, da-dumb, dumb, dumb). Sample sales are ravaged like rabid wolves while the luxury department store I was in last weekend was more than happy to ply me with Perrier and treats just to keep me there a few minutes longer ('cause no one was spending $60 for a Jessica Simpson bangle bracelet). Give me coupons or give me death! will be 2011's rallying cry on Manhattan. The only thing I'm willing to cough up is my two cents. Actually, that I'm more than happy to thrust on you (really, whether you asked for it or not).

No comments:

Post a Comment